When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us-Alexander Graham Bell


Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Thakkaaya burfi/Thengai burfi/Coconut burfi

Coconut has been used by our ancestors and they lived a healthy life.Coconut has a lot of benefits.Its is rich in fiber, vitamins and minerals.Coconut oil has medicinal properties,you can find in many of the Ayurveda medicines.My mother says that when we are seasoning the dish with coconut oil it destroys the germs present in the food and is good for the stomach.Coconut oil is good for the skin and helps for the growth of hair.Drinking coconut water is good for kidney problems and intestinal disease like dysentery.It also gives instant energy.Coconut oil has disappeared from most of the kitchens because people have false perception that including coconut in any form will cause heart diseases etc,(my husband is a victim of it).I did a google research and explained him the benefits.Now he is slowly including the dishes prepared out of coconut oil or coconut in his diet.
Tengaya or Kobbari is the name of coconut in Telugu my mother tongue.I am a lover of coconut in any form.My mother being from Palakkad uses coconut in almost all of her dishes.For my birthday my mother prepares coconut burfi sweet.
For this Deepavali, I planned to prepare coconut burfi and searched for the recipe, I wouldn't call my mother as my Internet phone was out of order. I was a silent follower of a blog- mydiversekitchen by Aparna. Since Aparna and my mother hails from the same place most of her traditional recipes are similar to how my mother makes it, so kept following this blog for one and half years.In fact she is  my inspiration to start my blog.I have tried most of the traditional dishes in her blog and most of the recipes came out well in the first shot itself.This is mainly because of her detailed explanations.If we watch the cookery shows in  TV  we forget something but in Aparna's blog she describes beautifully, even a person who have not tired cooking yet will end up cooking good dishes.
I google searched the coconut burfi and couldn't find the recipes for coconut burfi as my mother makes, then I realised I have to check out in my diverse kitchen.There it was with great explanations. I went into the kitchen and prepared coconut burfi, the results was amazing!.The only change I made to Aparna's recipe was, I used cashew nuts to garnish coconut burfi and cut it in diamond shapes.

 



A closer shot of coconut burfi

Check out Aparna's blog here http://www.mydiversekitchen.com/2009/09/thengai-barfi-cardamom-flavoured-sweet.html for the recipe.I am sure you will become a follower of  this blog.In her blog she has Useful links, I learnt a lot from those links. Through this post I would like to say my heartfelt thanks to Aparna for sharing her knowledge!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for trying out my recipe and am happy you like it so much. :) The additon of cashewnuts to the burfi is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it brought back memories...amma makes them for diwali...and my brother used to gobble up by the dozen :)...thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'r welcome Sudha! I am glad that my coconut burfi took you back home.

    ReplyDelete

Hi, Your comment is of great value to me.Thanks for taking time to write a comment.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...